We all have those jobs that we keep avoiding or saying “it can wait until tomorrow”, but with the new season swiftly rolling in, it is the perfect time to get your house in order.
So as the mercury starts to rise, what are the best jobs to tackle? Here is a list of the top to-do’s for spring.
GET OUT IN THE GARDEN
Spring is the perfect time to get out into the garden. The days are longer, the weather is better and you only need to do some basic maintenance to really get your garden looking its best again. Some of the basic jobs you can easily do yourself are:
- Trimming your hedges: Trim them back, or at least give them a little manicure if they’ve grown wildly during the cooler months.
- Maintain your lawns: If you long for the kind of lawn that mimics that of the MCG, then you need to nourish your grass with good quality fertilizer and water. But to really make sure the fertilizer penetrates to the roots of your lawn where it can have maximum effect – you need to aerate the soil.
- Fix any fence niggles: inspect all pailings, gates and latches to ensure they can withstand the approaching storm season.
- Tidy up any fallen leaves, twigs and branches
BEAT THE HEAT
With guests arriving for the festive season (yes it will be here before we know it!), the kids home from school, and let’s not forget, hot sweaty nights ahead, having a water system and air-conditioning unit that are ready to roll is paramount.
To avoid a future failing in your hot water supply, releasing the hot water system valves to reduce pressure and checking the sacrificial node that saves your hot water system from rusting out is a maintenance must.
In addition, tuning up the hot water system to cope with the increased water load during family visits is a very good idea. Having your air-conditioner serviced is also a good idea.
CLEAR IT OUT
Spring cleaning always comes to mind this time of year, but we are not just talking about a closet declutter. Here are a few things that will need clearing out for a fresh new feel.
- Your gutters: As we are approaching storm season it is a good idea to get your gutters cleaned and examined to ensure they are operating correctly. You don’t want to wait until it is too late!
- Pantry: Now is also the perfect time to do a deep clean of your pantry. Throw away everything that is now out of date, and do a bit of a restock.
- Wardrobe: As mentioned above, go through your wardrobe and do a cull of all the items you don’t wear and donate it. It will help free up some space and it just adds to the whole ‘spring cleaning’ vibe.
- Pest Control: With the warm weather also comes some unwanted pets. Spring is a great time to get your annual pest control completed. You can rest assured knowing you and your family will be protected all summer long.
Whether it’s that tap that’s been leaking for the past couple of months or some touch-up work that’s needed on the painting front, now is the time to get onto repairs.
Start by examining each room for any discrepancies and add them to a list. Once your list is completed you can work out whether they are minor or major repairs and tackle them one at a time.
EXTRA MAINTENANCE TIPS:
- Conduct an energy audit: Take a look at your appliances – when was the last time they were replaced? Older appliances, or those that are due for maintenance, might not be very energy-efficient. If you decide to replace them, check the energy star rating before making a purchase.
- Check your pool (if you are lucky enough to have one): Remove the cover and do a quick assessment of water levels and pump condition so that you can proactively schedule a pro to maintain, if necessary. You’ll want to be able to make a splash as soon as summer is here.
- Accessorise and restyle: While you are in the spring mood, why don’t you freshen up your space with some new accessories? New cushions, artwork and decor pieces have the power to make your space feel brand new! Opt for soft spring tones and prints to really ring in the new season.
- A fresh lick of paint: Fresh paint works minor miracles on tired walls, so if you are looking to give a room an instant face-lift, paint is definitely the way to go.
TAYLAH ANTONIOLLI – MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
07 3202 3040
A go getter and doer, Taylah is a no excuses, get the job done kind of girl. With a strong work ethic and high attention to detail, Taylah is happy to help out wherever she can. Armed with a degree in business specialising in marketing and public relations Taylah brings fresh ideas and innovation to the iThink team.