Currently working from home and struggling to get into the zone? With the coronavirus madness forcing more and more businesses to shut up shop and work from home, it is more important than ever to ensure you have set up a productive home office in the interim.
Here are our top tips and suggestions that will help you get the most out of your workday at home.
ESTABLISH A CLEAR WORK ZONE
You will want to set up a clear workspace, away from any distractions. You want to try and not mix work with your usual home routines. Establishing clear boundaries will help you stay more productive when completing work tasks. Also, make sure you inform the family/housemates of your workspace to avoid later conflict.
You will also want to create a space that is inviting and you don’t mind being in. Whether you like a bit of greenery, some artwork or you like things to be clean and minimal. Make sure you customise the space to suit you and your productivity.
Avoid working from your bedroom at all costs! Studies show that if you start to work in your bedroom/bed you will start to associate these places with work and falling asleep at night will become more difficult as your brain will want to switch on, rather than turn off.
Organisation will be key to your at-home success. Make sure you have everything you need to get going. Here is a list to get you started:
- Pens & other stationery
You will also need to ensure you can access any work emails and files remotely and that you have all your passwords ready to go.
SET A SCHEDULE
It is important to set yourself a schedule to ensure you are meeting deadlines. It will also help you feel like it is a proper workday. Set times to do certain tasks, and also make sure you factor in a lunch break. You also want to make sure you are checking in with your colleagues regularly over zoom to ensure you are on track to completing all your tasks.
If you are struggling to break up your workday or are having a hard time separating home life and work life, here are some tips:
- Exercise – Use your lunch break to do a quick yoga flow, meditation or even pop outside for a walk to get some sunshine.
- Get Changed – It is super easy to stay in your pyjamas all day, but one way quick and sure-fire way to separate home from work is to get changed! It will help you get in the right headspace.
- Set the mood – Play some calming background music, create a workflow playlist or light a candle. Make the space inviting and ready for a productive day.
TIPS FOR WORKING HARMONIOUSLY
With school students now working from home for the next 5 weeks, you may find yourself juggling working from home and playing teacher. Here are some tips to ensure both you and the kids are getting work done harmoniously.
Give everyone their own space and designated storage: Giving each person their own space and a separate draw or storage space will help keep clutter at bay. It will also keep everyone responsible for their things.
- Set a clear schedule: Make sure you include lunchtime and device time also. This will make your students knuckle down so they can receive their reward (for example, 30 mins of youtube/Xbox).
- Get some fresh air: It is important to also schedule in some form of physical exercise. It will help break up the day and it will also get your out of the house. Opt for a quick walk around the block, or maybe kick a ball around in the backyard.
- Use a room divider: Room dividers are a great way to separate spaces. This way you can let each person have their own space, which should eliminate distractions.
Hopefully, this work from home ritual isn’t set in for too much longer, however, if it is, you should be set and ready to go! If you use any of these tips or you have some yourself, let us know by using the hashtag #athomewithiThink.